Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Collection Development Policy

Greensboro College James Addison Jones Library Collection Development Plan, adopted 7 November 2014

a. Greensboro College, a four year, independent coeducational institution, provides a liberal arts education grounded in the traditions of the United Methodist Church and fosters the intellectual, social, and, spiritual development of all students while supporting their individual needs. Founded in 1838, Greensboro College provides undergraduate students a true liberal-arts education while also offering four master’s degrees.

b. Greensboro College enrolls approximately 1,150 students, of which about 60% are traditional-aged students. The remaining 40% is comprised of adult undergraduates, non-degree seeking students, and graduate students. Greensboro College serves a diverse population, attracting students from more than 30 states and 15 countries. Greensboro College employs 40 full time instructional faculty members. The first graduate program was added in 2002.

c. Greensboro College is located in an historical area of downtown Greensboro, North Carolina. Other colleges in Greensboro are Guilford College, Bennett College, North Carolina A & T, and Guilford County Technical College.

d. Disciplinary majors are accounting, art, athletic training, biology, biology/allied, health, birth through kindergarten education, business administration, business administration and economics, chemistry, criminal justice, criminal justice administration, elementary education, English, English and communication studies, exercise and sport studies, health and physical education, history, history and political science, history and religion, history with social studies licensure, liberal studies, mathematics, mathematics education, middle grades education, music, music education, political science, psychology, religion, secondary comprehensive science education, sociology, Spanish education, special education, theatre, and urban ecology.

e. North Carolina State Department of Public Instruction licensure is offered in birth through kindergarten education, elementary education (K-12), (general curriculum and adapted curriculum), art (K-12), health and physical education (K-12), music (K-12), Spanish (K-12), and theatre (K-12). Student seeking secondary licensure (9-12) must select one or more academic majors from the following:

  • English,
  • Mathematics,
  • Biology,
  • Secondary comprehensive science education, and
  • Social Studies.

a. Ethics Across the Curriculum, First Year Seminar, George Center for Honors Studies, Writing Across the Curriculum, and consortia arrangements.

a. Greensboro College provides a liberal arts education grounded in the traditions of the United Methodist Church and fosters the intellectual, social, and, spiritual development of all students while supporting their individual needs.